Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Gingerbread Week Day 3

Yay, I made it over the hump!
I'd love to report that I only have two more days until Christmas break, but then I'd be a darn liar! That's right, we have school until December 22. I've got to say, for this year, I am so thankful for blogs and Pinterest. I have MORE than enough ideas for lessons and craftivities to last me through this week, next, and even the week after that!

However, I'll take the break. I'm ready for it right now!

Well, I did have another observation again today, but this one was only 20 minutes long and it was first thing in the morning. I didn't lose any time from my regular schedule.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be a new teacher nowadays. This year, I have walkthroughs and observations all of the time. During my first few years teaching, I only remember being visited by the principal when it was time for my formal observations {that was 3 times a year.} And that was it! No one else would ever walkthrough, observe, or even visit. I think I would have lost my cookies, if I was observed back then as much as I am now! We are so used to people watching us. We could hold class outside in the middle of a busy parking lot. I am not sure if that is good or bad?!?! Whatever it is, these kids are always being watched.

Anywhoo, back to the topic at hand, Gingerbread Week Day 3.

Today, we read the Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett. I love this book! Jan Brett is so talented and creative. The kids really enjoyed this story, too. They liked the ending the best.


We recorded the characters, refrain, and ending onto our giant Anchor Chart and completed a response sheet.


Sorry the picture quality isn't that great. The lighting is so crappy.
At least I remembered to move the red garland today!
Then, during our 3 rotations of Daily 5 students who were either 'reading to self' or 'reading to someone' could use this cute gingerbread house and character sticks to act out the story. They loved it.



If you use any of Jan Brett's books, you've gotta check out her website. She has many activities to go along with her books. She even has videos to show kids how to draw some of her characters! 


Click {here} to go to her website.
There's even an interactive gingerbread house that the kids can decorate by dragging the candies onto house. So cute!

Alright, confession time.
I was scared that my gingerbread cookies would stink and there wouldn't be enough for my two lessons, so I went to Walgreens and picked up some Pepperidge Farms Gingerbread cookies. {NOT, what I wanted to serve to my class.}

Then, when I came home, I baked the gingerbread cookies from the mix. Surprisingly, I managed to have plenty of cookies and they didn't taste awful either!

I had Scott do the official taste test. I'm going to use his bite with our class data! :)

So, I guess I'll keep the Pepperidge Farms ones for the house. I know one person who won't mind having more cookies in the house at all!!!

Happy Wednesday!

1 comment: