Monday, September 19, 2011

My Daily 5 Day

I have something to confess...
I don't do the Daily 5 exactly the way "The Sisters" write about in their book. Well, let me rephrase that. I launch the Daily 5 exactly like the book says, but the management is where we differ. However, that is what is so great about "The Sisters" they don't want you to do exactly what they say. They want you to make it your own. 
{And thank God for that because I never seem to do what the books say no matter how hard I try.}

Once my little firsties have achieved their 20 minutes of stamina time, we are ready to begin the meat and potatoes of our literacy block!

When I first began using the Daily 5, I had one major thing to consider ...
the reading series. 

How do I integrate the reading series with the Daily 5?

I was required to read each week's basal story, learn the high-frequency words, focus skill, and focus strategy. I was to pull reading groups every day and use the intervention kit with my non-readers.

So, I had to think about what would work best with those requirements and still use the Daily 5 management system. Here's what I came up with:

I've since changed what goes above the pocket charts
and I will update the photo when I start my reading groups.
I decided to spend 40 minutes daily (whole group) covering the most important skills and lessons from the reading series. Then, I would spend about 60 minutes to pull reading groups/strategy groups/book clubs. This 60 minutes is when the Daily 5 would happen.

I split the kids into three groups {these groups are flexible and kids are moved to new groups all of the time based on their needs.} I bought the mini pocket charts from Target's Dollar spot for my three groups. I just color-coded the groups:

Red Group

Blue Group

and Green Group

There are three rounds and one of those rounds is to meet with me. The kids are only doing two of the Daily 5 choices a day.

I've let the kids pull their choices and I've also pulled the choices for the kids. I tend to lean towards pulling the choices for the kids because I would make sure they would do all of the Daily 5 choices in the week. When they pulled the choices they would only pull the same choices all of the time. My writers would always pull Work on Writing. My non-readers would only pull Listening. My chatty ones would only pull Read to Someone. They needed to do them all, especially Read to Self, so that is when I decided to intervene.

My little tray for the cards.
This system totally works for me, and I am still fulfilling my duties of teaching the reading series. Now, if I had my choice I wouldn't need a reading series at all, but that is not the case. {sad!}

I wish I could remember where I got these cards from so I could give the proper credit but I can't. {If it is you, please let me know!}

Daily 5 Pocket Chart Cards 1 Daily 5 Pocket Chart Cards 2 Daily 5 Pocket Chart Cards 3

7 comments:

  1. DITTO!!!!!! We are on the same page!!! I love the way you have the Daily 5 cards marked with rounds #'s on them. I just started to put little numbers in the corners of mine to help my sanity. Going in this morning and putting that on all of them (well maybe this afternoon cause I already have my board set up for today). Still struggling with keeping track of who does what! Suggestions? Making sure they get to it all in a weeks time. What do you do for work on writing? We do Writers Workshop so I have not yet included that in my Daily 5 so as not to confuse the kids? Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karevan!
    I do Writing Workshop at a seperate time, too. For work on writing the kids have a seperate journal and are free to write about anything they want. When we have share time, the kids might share a list, a story, or an expository piece {their favorite.} They like the freedom with this part, so I usually have lots of writers. too cute!

    If you leave me your e-mail address I can send you a copy of the document I created to keep track of the students choices. I'll send the one from last year, so you can get an idea of it in action.
    Thanks for reading my little blog!!!
    Andi

    ReplyDelete
  3. karen.felder@palmbeachschools.org
    Did 3 rounds today. Went okay. Lots of technical difficulties with Listen to Reading equipment. Even though we had a mini-lesson right before rounds on just that. Go figure. Try again tomorrow. We'll get it, I know. Every time we try again we iron out any situations that might come up-or so we think!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so relieved to hear others not feel that they have to follow it exactly the way it is in the book. I had to fit it to our school's literacy schedule and I do Daily 3 rather than 5. You gave me some great ideas! THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't do listen to reading because of the cultural issues regarding technology in my Hutterite classroom. So I read to them twice a day. It's one of the things I think that has drawn me the most to "the Sisters" work that we need to do what we need to do and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are providing the best quality Plastic Straws Alternative in USA. Visit our site for further update.
    Plastic Straws Alternative USA

    ReplyDelete
  7. great information thanks for sharing this weather balloon

    ReplyDelete