Saturday, September 3, 2011

Chrysanthemum

I was inspired by this pin on Pinterest:
{source}
*Aside: I just love Sarah Cooley's blog, First Grader ...at last! She is so very creative.*

As long as I can remember, I've begun my school year teaching with Kevin Henkes' books. I just love them!

Chrysanthemum and Lily's Purple Plastic Purse are two books I never miss to read aloud {several times!} These stories have many cute lessons to go along with them. In particular, I like to do a character study with Lily and Chrysanthemum, a number sense lesson using our names, and discussions on following rules, being respectful and our feelings. *Note: These lessons aren't new; you can find them easily online.

HOWEVER, after seeing that above mentioned pin, I decided to add a little art to my anchor chart. I'm a tracer!


During our character study, I had the kids recall characteristics to describe Chrysanthemum and Lily. I drew this picture of Chrysanthemum because I loved this outfit with her seven pockets.


Our name chart
I usually keep this up all year. The children like to refer to it when they are writing in their journal or writing stories. When we do this activity, I have the students build their names with connecting cubes first and then they must transfer it to the pattern block page. Some kids have a very difficult time with this part. Once again, assessing their varying ability levels.


Happy Labor Day Weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Love the Chrysanthemum poster!! Thanks for sharing.

    Miss J
    smiles, crayons, and endless stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. That poster is adorable! I love the hanging descriptions. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! It is so colorful!

    ReplyDelete