Saturday, September 3, 2011

Chrysanthemum

I was inspired by this pin on Pinterest:
{source}
*Aside: I just love Sarah Cooley's blog, First Grader ...at last! She is so very creative.*

As long as I can remember, I've begun my school year teaching with Kevin Henkes' books. I just love them!

Chrysanthemum and Lily's Purple Plastic Purse are two books I never miss to read aloud {several times!} These stories have many cute lessons to go along with them. In particular, I like to do a character study with Lily and Chrysanthemum, a number sense lesson using our names, and discussions on following rules, being respectful and our feelings. *Note: These lessons aren't new; you can find them easily online.

HOWEVER, after seeing that above mentioned pin, I decided to add a little art to my anchor chart. I'm a tracer!


During our character study, I had the kids recall characteristics to describe Chrysanthemum and Lily. I drew this picture of Chrysanthemum because I loved this outfit with her seven pockets.


Our name chart
I usually keep this up all year. The children like to refer to it when they are writing in their journal or writing stories. When we do this activity, I have the students build their names with connecting cubes first and then they must transfer it to the pattern block page. Some kids have a very difficult time with this part. Once again, assessing their varying ability levels.


Happy Labor Day Weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Love the Chrysanthemum poster!! Thanks for sharing.

    Miss J
    smiles, crayons, and endless stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. That poster is adorable! I love the hanging descriptions. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! It is so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    I'm working on an article for Scholastic Teacher magazine. In each issue, Teacher compiles lesson ideas on specific topics to share with teachers. (Readers total about 100,000 K-8 teachers in print and many more online.)

    I'm currently working on ideas for Ice Breakers/First Day Data for grades K-1. I came across your Chrysanthemum Name Chart and would love to include this activity. It’s so creative!

    I'm emailing to ask your permission for me to summarize the lesson and quote from your blog post. I’m on a tight deadline and, as such, would appreciate your response by Monday, May 22.

    Please also send along the following information for me to include:
    Full name (as you'd like to see it published):
    Grade you teach:
    School where you teach and city/state:
    Would you like for me to include your blog’s name (and link to it in the online version of the article)?
    Anything you'd like to add about the activity/fun observations:
    A photo of the activity w/a photo credit:

    I look forward to hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete