I LOVE going to conferences!
|That's me chillin' at the Peabody.|
This week I went to IRA's Annual Conference in Orlando and it was a blur... er... a blast!
No really, I had a great time. It was three days chock full of sessions, speakers, authors, and vendors.
Here are some things I LOVED hearing during my sessions:
1. Running Records are good (get rid of fluency testing: aka- DIBELS)
2. reading and writing go hand and hand (get those kids writing more!)
3. background knowledge is key to comprehension
4. get rid of levels on books (book stores don't level books for adults)
5. provide feedback to your students about their reading/writing often
The sessions were refreshing and inspiring BUT the exhibit floor was the place to be! Free books, posters, and authors waiting to be drooled over.
I nerded-out big time!
I will have to pull together some more information I learned for y'all. Good stuff...